My next project – stump table. Never thought I would try something like this but a tree fell down in my parents yard so I thought I would give it a try.
Well it turns out the reason the tree feel over was heart rot. So we took a piece that showed some promise, drilled out all the rot and filled it with poly. This is right after the hubs filled it with poly. We shall see how it turns out.
Next step, sanding, sealing and adding some vintage inspired casters like these.
To be continued.
It’s all about the household goods!
Sometimes when you wait – you can always find what you are looking for… at yard sales. They are always a good place to find used baskets. This one was solid but the handles were fraying and needed some TLC.
So I grabbed some yarn, started wrapping up the handles and here’s how it turned out. I’m thinking of adding some more pops of color with more yarn over the green yarn next.
Another lesson I learned this weekend is always ask “What’s in the box?”. Turns out something that looks like garbage can actually hold some treasures. The hubs spotted two long beat up boxes and asked – turns out they contained two wooden Maine sling rocker chairs. They had been purchased in the 90s and just sat unopened. All the parts were there and nothing was damaged/broken. That day we were so excited we quickly put them together and here they are.
They ended up being made of lightweight wood – good quality with no knots. Next I’ll add some poly so we can bring them on our next camping trip.
$5 for 2 chairs, $3 for basket and plant lights, $5 for shelf in box, $1 for box of patterned post cards.
Happy Summer Yardsale Hunting!
This post is a bit late, but here it is.
Well it’s the time of year again for gardening… And as you can see I had a huge lack of space! No home for my garden seedlings. Luckily, spring cleaning happened in my office and they had some leftover planks.
So we had the shelving and just needed some supports. The hubs found affordable wood stringers, legs and angle brackets.
End of Day 1: We put in most of the work on this project on day 1. At this point it was a bit unstable and had a nice tilt to it, so we left it against the wall.
End of Day 2: One more shelf. Now it was more stable.
FIN: …And we are done!
4 structural legs $10/piece = $40
8 stringers $1.30/board = $10.40
Angle brackets $3 for 4, used 8 per shelf. Total = $24
Total spent = $74.40
Total savings for four 6 foot planks about $60.
Not a bad price for a solid wooden piece of furniture.
I found this beauty at a random yard sale that I came across one Saturday morning. At college it sadly sat in my parents basement and this is what became of it…
The webbing started cracking and breaking. So after some shopping I found some fun colors to modernize the chaise. It now has life again! All ready for the sun and perhaps a few campfires!
There was no measuring involved. I fit each strap across the frame and screwed it in. The method was simple:
1. Fold webbing end twice into triangles so there are multiple layers.
2. Use Phillips head screwdriver to bore a hole for the screw through the end.
3. Insert screw and attach to the frame.
4. Extend the chair as far as it goes and pull the webbing taught.
5. Bore another home using the screwdriver, fold webbing and attach.
I found a good method is to attach all the short webbing straps first then weave the long pieces into them.
Cost: $5 chaise chair & $30 in webbing
I know I didn’t exactly save any money since these chairs can be found cheaper in stores but at least it stays out of the landfill.
Happy Summer DIY-ers!
I can’t believe it’s been years since I found this beauty. You may remember it from this post. Since then I have been trying to find a decent shade for it. Luckily, I found this one at the thrift store for $1. I thought I would try it out, since it is a common type/color available on most lamps. To make sure my office coordinated, I found a matching shade for the other brass table lamp in my office. And it definitely adds some character alongside my grandmother’s typewriter.
Ah, so you know when you just nudge your perfectly symmetrical succulent with a little force and POOF no longer the perfect specimen that lives in every homemakeover show/magazine/blog post.
Well it turns out most of these “arms” broke off perfectly! I had no idea my succulents could get any more adorable. (Can you tell I love them? Haha) I’ve been keeping them next to the window on moist soil that I spray at least once a week (depending on how dry the air is). It’s certainly takes a while (months) but this is what a few of them look like now:
Next step, when to put them in soil…
Happy Winter Gardening!
To quote Mr. Owen Wilson “WOW”…I can’t believe it’s been a year since I posted. It’s been the year of working, moving and of course… weddings!
Renting always has it’s challenges, especially when I just want to knockdown walls and scrap off all the popcorn ceilings, ha. One of these is the kitchen backsplash or lack of. I looked into some options, like contact paper or temporary wall paper, but ultimately I wanted to make it a “gallery space”. My plan is to find more of the same size frames (of course from thifting) and fill them with vibrant artwork. This is what I have so far:
And an update from my last post. I added the leather hanger & painted over the name on the mailbox.
Not too shabby.